Whole foods, plant-based eating gets easier with recipes from Forks Over Knives. This is a quick-to-assemble dinner with fresh and bright ingredients that will become one of your favorite regular recipes.
Source: Forks Over Knives
Green Bean Pasta With Cashew Pesto
Prep time: 30 min
Makes 8 cups, 4 servings
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 oz. dried whole wheat spaghetti
- 8 oz. fresh thin green beans, trimmed and halved lengthwise, if desired
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (1½ cups)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachio nuts
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- For pesto, place cashews in a bowl. Add boiling water to cover. Let stand 30 minutes; drain. In a blender or food processor combine cashews and the next six ingredients (through lemon juice).
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions, adding green beans the last 2 minutes of cooking; drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water. Return spaghetti to pan. Add pesto and cannellini beans; toss to coat. Add reserved pasta cooking water a little at a time to achieve desired texture, tossing to combine. Season with salt and black pepper. Sprinkle with pistachios and, if desired, crushed red pepper.
- Pesto can be made ahead the day before to save time.
- Not a green bean fan? Replace the green beans with asparagus or mushrooms.
178 calories per serving. Total fat 5.3 grams, dietary fiber 7.3 grams, protein 9.6 grams.