On October 5, 2019, a Myeloma Crowd Round Table meeting was held in Chicago, Illinois at the Westin Chicago Lombard Hotel featuring two myeloma experts, including:
- Dr. Morie Gertz, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Dr. Pritesh Patel, University of Illinois Chicago, Chicago, IL
Revisiting the Multiple Myeloma Weeds in the Bone Marrow Garden
Dr. Morie Gertz discusses the bone marrow garden analogy to help patients and advocates understand the disease and how to treat it.
Multiple Myeloma: Current Standards of Care
Dr. Pritesh Patel reviews the major drugs to treat myeloma and their respective side effects, stem cell transplant, relapse treatment, and his personal approach to treatment.
Chromosomal Abnormalities in Myeloma - Myeloma Expert Panel
Drs. Patel and Gertz answer questions concerning myeloma genetics and why it's important to assess individual cases with chromosomal abnormalities.
Understanding Immunotherapy in Multiple Myeloma
Dr. Pritesh Patel discusses the novelty of immunotherapy and its general principles, therapies, and advancements.
Questions for the Near Future of Multiple Myeloma Treatment
Dr. Morie Gertz presents on sequencing and degrading new therapies, and the role of MRD testing.
Important Lessons Learned in the Past Five Years About Myeloma
Drs. Gertz and Patel answer questions of how myeloma science has improved over time.
Myeloma Expert Panel and Q&A -- Morning
Myeloma Expert Panel and Q&A -- Afternoon
- 0:08 Are there populations or parts of the world that get more multiple myeloma than others?
- 2:23 What is dexamethasone, why does it work, and can you discuss proper dosages and timing with treatment?
- 8:49 If I want to change the dose of a drug, how do you easily get a second opinion from a reputable myeloma specialist?
- 9:13 What is the process of knowing if you are transplant-eligible?
- 13:03 When do you stop maintenance therapy after transplant?
- 16:43 My genetics testing and imaging and treatments have been very expensive. How is that acceptable?
- 17:45 If a patient relapses after transplant while on maintenance therapy within the first year, what should they do next?
- 19:30 Is it reasonable to expect that bones begin to heal if they have been damaged by myeloma?
- 20:50 What do you do for consolidation therapy and for how long?
- 21:11 I had a transplant and did a year of consolidation with the same drugs I had for induction. Is that standard of care?
- 23:34 I’m on maintenance therapy after transplant and I experience a lot of fatigue. Will this get better?
- 26:23 I’m not on Revlimid only Velcade and dex for maintenance. Why am I experiencing fatigue?
- 27:02 Does transplant raise your resistance to myeloma drugs?
- 27:29 Can amyloid or myeloma metastasize to other parts of the body like the organs or the brain?
- 28:06 What is a common dose of melphalan during ASCT for an older patient (72 years old)?
- 29:01 I have a lot of side effects from maintenance therapy one year after transplant but my doctor hasn’t changed my treatment.
- 30:33 Will I have definitely kidney damage long term because of my myeloma?
- 31:43 Can Velcade and dex damage your heart?
Thanks to our Platinum Sponsor
Thanks to our Myeloma Crowd Round Table Sponsors: Takeda Oncology, GSK, Celgene, Karyopharm and Adaptive Biotechnologies